Thursday, March 03, 2005

That's What I Call A Round Trip

Steve Fossett landed safely in Kansas today, after flying a specially-built jet all the way around the world without landing. I expect he will claim several world records, including one once held by a native Hoosier, Lt. Col. Thomas R. Grissom, my grandmother's little brother.

Update: I just googled Great-uncle Tom's name and learned that he was awarded the F.A.I.'s De La Vaulx medal in 1960. Other names on that list include - well, just go read it.
This Medal was established by the FAI in 1933 in memory of the Comte de la Vaulx, founder-member and past President of the FAI who lost his life in an aircraft accident while on a mission for the promotion of Aviation. De la Vaulx Medals are awarded to the holders of recognised absolute world records set during the previous year.

No comments: