Friday, June 30, 2006

Thursday Flying Report From ZA

"Thursday was a good soaring day (if you had patience). Lift got better as the day progressed and the dewpoint dropped.
Darren made an excellent o/r flight in his ASW 15 to Indianapolis Executive (Terry) starting out when conditions were only barely soarable.* ZA chickened out of a 200km triangle speed attempt as the speed was too low (maybe regretting the decision as he flew back to Alex in the best air of the day).
This time of the year what it takes is the passage of a front ( hardly cold!) and then to spring into action the next day - if you're lucky enough to be able to. Unfortuanately many frontal passages result in backing up warm fronts that then bring in hot/moist air (this coming friday and saturday) which means the conditions go downhill for a day or so. Maybe 7 or more flights today in total - George, Larry, Jim, Nyal were there. Thanks for towing Bob."
*Actually, I was anxious to get started and took a 2000 foot tow before conditions were soarable. 15 minutes later I was back on the runway looking for a 3000 foot tow. I took my second launch at 2PM and even then had to tiptoe my way out on course. The round trip to Terry took me two and a half hours.
The shame of it is, I made the decision to abort my 300km task shortly after arriving at Terry, because it had taken me an hour and a half to get there. But then it only took me an hour to get back.
- Darren

No comments: