Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Former Club Member

Another Club Success:  Yesterday I ran into an old ( actually quite young ) club member . Both of us were in line buying ice creams at a store on the north side of Indy .   I asked Gene what he had set out to do after high school as the last time I had seen him was just after he had soloed in one of our Blaniks as a "high schooler ".  That day in late October 2000 I remember well as he completed his longest flight ( 2 hours ) in the chilly but great soaring conditions over Terry Airfield that early Fall afternoon.   Gene Pecar told me that after graduating he joined the US Air Force . He further told me that his reason for being in town was that he had just ferried an Air Force Jet out of Hurricane Irene's path at Andrews Air Force Base into the mid west ! He told me that he has flown a number of high performance jets including F -16's and from what I could tell he really enjoys his work . Wouldn't you too enjoy stopping over in your old home town after ferrying a high performance jet out of a Hurricane's path . I did invite him out to visit us next time he's in town .   Well done to our Club Glider Instructors who helped Gene towards his chosen career.

[Ron Clarke]

No comments: