Sunday, May 29, 2005

Fun While It Lasted

Today was a great half-of-a soaring day. Before the gloomy overcast rolled in from the north around 3pm, Terry Wools, Gerry Whitson and Chris Carpenter made it to Boone County Airport, Kokomo and back. Mike Nichols and I made the round trip to Boone County (45 miles from Alexandria), but chickened out on Kokomo (it looked pretty dark up there!). Cloudbase was well above 8000 feet.


Mike Nichols sent the picture of Boone County airport and these thoughts:
"1. CUs were slow to form and mainly to the north.
2. Winds were light.
3. Higher cloud deck was moving in from the north.
4. Rte. planned Alex, Boone Co, Kokomo, Alex. Thinking was we could turn back to Alex after Boone Co. if deck from North moved in. In fact this is what two of us did because by the time we headed from Boone Co. to Kokomo the high deck had moved down.
5. Gerry went into blue sky early with the rest of us following. Things went slowly for me without the CU markers. I guess I just haven't learned to BELIEVE.
6.I think if I had went the opposite direction, maybe even adding Marion, I could have went farther and faster."
Terry Wools reports:
"Quick highlights,, I was counting parked planes at TYQ before I pulled out a save. Then I topped out a good thermal to 10000msl on my ALT. That was one big cloud! Don't think I actually made 10k but it was pretty surreal. I learned some things from this flight."

No comments: