Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Fwd: The Cold Doesn't Matter

From: ZASoars
I've said it before and today proved it ! The high temperature today was in the 53 degree range but lift was very strong - up to a measured 800 ft / min average on our flight log . Thermal tops were above 7200msl I know as I heard Kurt Ristow call out that height . We ( Tod Herrli and I ) saw 6700 before moving on as we had a course to fly ! Some very good cumulus clouds helped mark the lift early in the day but it turned "blue " later although the lift was still just as strong.The secret to good thermal days is of course a good lapse rate ( Sun heating the ground and the temperature dropping rapidly with height) . You don't have to figure it out DR. JACK does it for you and I can honestly say he is seldom ever wrong . Today was a good example. Become a believer, check Dr. Jack and keep looking ahead for good days like today . If you are able to , plan a day's vacation to come and fly if you can when you see such conditions shaping up ahead. As usual we need to thank our Tow Pilot Larry Miller for getting us into the skies. ZA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure Dr. Jack "predicts" the weather. I think he actually "produces" the weather. And this year he is teasing us, giving us bad weather on weekends, just to laugh at us giving us good weather during the week days.
So far this year, I haven't flown "jack"