Saturday, June 21, 2008

Saturday Report 6/21

The weather forecast was 'thunderstorms likely,' and the wind was out
of the west. We hauled the two-seat gliders down to the east end of
the field and launched a few training and currency flights, keeping
an eye on the sky to the north and west. We also kept the new mower
busy (the south side of the of the runway, for example, was last mowed
two weeks earlier).
Shortly after noon we heard that there was a thunderstorm over Elwood,
so we scrambled to shut down the operation and put everything away.
Fortunately the bad weather took its time rolling in and we got
everything stowed away safely. At 2pm, as I left the parking lot, it
suddenly started hailing!

Update: I was driving east when the storm hit. When the hail started, I turned the car around and drove west to get out from under it. I'm glad I did, because Muncie got large hail a half hour later (probably the same cell).

No comments: