Sunday, November 07, 2004

How To Calculate Official Distances For Records

All distance calculations for soaring records are made using the WGS-84 datum and the Official FAI online distance calculator. This calculator uses a recursive calculation method known as the Vicenty algorithm. The old great circle formula yields different results.

Wouldn't it be nice if programs like SeeYou used this same algorithm?

I claimed a free triangle distance record this summer and I probably spent as much time going over the IGC file trying to optimize my distance as I did flying it! The flight was a closed course, but the main problem was finding the three fixes that gave me the greatest possible distance that still complied with the 28% rule (no leg of the course may be shorter than 28% of the total distance).

No comments: